Recipe - Protein Shakes


I have become quite fond of meal replacement shakes, or smoothies. Nice and cold in the hot summer and take awhile to consume.

I bought this single serve mini Hamilton Beach blender for work, when I still worked in an office. This is what all my coworkers had, and it was so cheap, even if I'd given up on the smoothies, I wouldn't lose out on a big investment. It's perfect, small and easy to clean, and not expensive. 

Vanilla Milkshake
  • 8oz of unsweetened almond milk (1 cup, 30 calories)
  • 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (100 calories)
  • 1 frozen banana (105 calories (ymmv) must have brown spots on before freezing, any visible green will make it too bitter and tart for this use)

Dreamcicle
  • 8oz of Trop50 Orange juice (50 calories, or almond milk with Orange Mio flavor squirt)
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (100 calories)
  • Ice cubes to fill the rest of the container

NOTE: If you like the creamcicle orange and vanilla flavor, check out my recipe for drunken gummy worms

Fruit Smoothie
  • 8 oz milk, almond milk, juice, etc
  • 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
  • 1/2 cup frozen fruit (strawberries or cherries go great with chocolate, I don't like the texture of most of the raspberries/blackberries after blending, peaches go great with vanilla)
  • (also, I puree fresh spinach and freeze it into smaller ice cubes and throw it in with the fruit... you can't taste it that way)

Pineapple Whip
  • 8 oz of almond milk
  • 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple chunks (more or less, depending on the size of the chunks, just fill up the container close to the top)

And, finally, for an afternoon pick-me-up perfect treat!

Cookies & Cream
  • 8oz of almond milk (30 calories)
  • 1 scoop cookies and cream protein powder (210 calories)
  • Coffee cubes (leftover coffee with a tiny bit of sweetener, frozen in ice cube trays)

As long as I am sharing recipes, here's one I originally learned from my MOL... dinner for the family tonight will be Doritos Taco Salad (with ground turkey for the taco meat, 2% shredded cheddar cheese, Fat Free Kraft Catalina dressing). I haven't calculated the calories on that yet, but, I will try to log into the site after dinner and figure everything up. Despite the cup of Doritos, it shouldn't be too bad overall, filled out with lettuce and turkey.

Oh, and a video that I ran across this morning when checking my email... a reminder that weight loss comes from the kitchen, not the gym. Determined to keep making the right food choices!

Comments