Unboxing: Garden Canning

Usually, I write about and review technology related products and subjects. I decided to break with tradition and do an unboxing review of... gardening and canning produce. My Mom has slowly turned her large yard into a huge garden bed and always makes sure to grow and preserve all of our favorites for us. 

My sister and BIL and my sons and I all help out when we can, but I do like knowing that Mom has a hobby that keeps her active and healthy (and saving on her lawn maintenance fees). 


In this video I show off items that she dropped off for us: 

  • Canned turkey
  • Spaghetti Sauce
  • Salsa
  • Peeled and diced tomatoes
  • Frozen jalapeno peppers
  • Bell peppers
  • Okra
  • Meal Prep Containers

With the canned turkey, you just heat it up to boiling temps and put it in any dish. I did alfredo pasta and quesadillas. 

With the spaghetti sauce, I made spaghetti, meatball subs, and lasagna. The kids and I went through this like gangbusters. 

For the salsa, we didn't use it with chips or to top nachos, we used it for crack chicken... dumping salsa and chicken breasts into an instant pot (or slow cooker) until it's shreddable. You can put that on anything. Tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, mac n cheese, omelettes, salad, make it into a dip with cream cheese and/or shredded cheese. The possibilities are endless. 

For the canned potatoes, I've roasted them, fried them, air-fried them, added them to soup, mashed them and made them into waffle tots or whatever. They're so easy to use in just about anything. 

Green beans. C'mon. You can put these in stir fry or green bean cassarole, but I legit just had huge bowls of these sauteed with bacon bits. SO GOOD! If you want to supplement pasta in an alfredo dish or similar, I do recommend green beans to provide substance and snap without the calories of noodles.

Stuffed peppers and fried okra round out the video. 

I have a brown thumb, not a green thumb, but I am so fortunate that my Mother is not the same. 

So, my Mom preserves her veggies with this: 

Food Saver Vacuum Sealer

That vacuum sealing machine will also work with these types of bags that we bought her, and she said worked just as well as the name brand: 

Avid Armor vacuum sealer sous vide food safe, heavy duty, BPA free, commercial grade sealing bag 

EdRaco food saver vacuum sealing or sous vide commercial food grade bag 

Food Saver Brand Bags

And for her canning, she uses

A water bath canning pot 

And canning jars with reusable rings and one time use lids

If you have not tried canning yet yourself, there are some books out there that can help you preserve your foods safely: 

  • The Good Living Guide to Country Skills: Wisdom for Growing Your Own Food, Raising Animals, Canning and Fermenting, and More 
  • The All New Ball Book Of Canning And Preserving: Over 350 of the Best Canned, Jammed, Pickled, and Preserved Recipes
  • Ball Canning Back to Basics: A Foolproof Guide to Canning Jams, Jellies, Pickles, and More
  • The Complete Guide to Pressure Canning: Everything You Need to Know to Can Meats, Vegetables, Meals in a Jar, and More
I also mentioned the meal prep boxes that my Mom gifted me with. You can find them on Amazon, too. We use these 24/7. 

Comments