Recipe - Timpano

 

I have to admit, I have never seen the movie Big Night (1996, I was too busy being an annoying teenager with my nose in a book while listening to industrial music), BUT I have definitely heard of the Timpano thing that they made.

You know, looking into the movie, I never realized that Ian Holm was in it!!! I'm a huge Tolkien fan, I've read The Lord of the Rings almost annually since I was ten. Hence my most popular blog posts: 

Back to the Italian food!!! If you want a little bit of a reference, I'll link to a video and a written recipe: 

I didn't actually follow a recipe myself, and did not hand-make pasta (although, I have since then, watch for that recipe soon!), just basically wandered through a warehouse club and picked up as many good looking ingredients as I could find. 



Sausage, meatballs, mushrooms, onions, pesto, pancetta, dried tomatoes, mozzarella sticks, various grated cheeses, diced vegetables, ricotta, alfredo sauce, marinara sauce, and olives. Also? Lasagna noodles (here's my mistake). 

I tried to ensure that my ingredients were dry enough, but, feel like my main dish (pictured above) collapsed during cooking and while attempting to cut. Initially, I thought it was too moist, but I really think using thick, rectangular dough was more my issue... a sheet I could shape, that was thin enough to meld things together, would have been more effective.

Making a sheet of dough to serve as my exterior coating for my baking dish, would have served me much better than attempting to use pre-made lasagna noodles throughout.


 I had much better luck using a standard loaf shaped dish, with these types of noodles (this is a perfect size for meatloaf, too, and I love the lid). 

So, I cannot guarantee my recipe, it turned out a mess, and not as pretty as the one in the movie. I do know now where I went wrong, and will adjust to thin, homemade pastry sheets next time. 

For all my self-criticism, it did taste pretty good and the leftovers did not last long. 

Comments

  1. Big Night was a great movie. Would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol definitely read the recipes I linked to... I should have.

      Don’t get me wrong! It tasted amazing! it is just not very pretty.

      Delete
    2. I also just heard that Tasty has a really good recipe for this as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment