Recipe: Crab Cakes

 

Crabcakes, how I love the... let me count the ways. 

My first time making crab cakes, I read a lot of recipes. Don't want to get too complicated, but did want to be sure I did my research and figured out the best approach. 

First? The binding agent. I saw a shrimp paste on America's Test Kitchen, and decided to use that. 

  • Shrimp - 4oz
  • Heavy Cream - 1/4c
Whipped together in the food processor until it was a creamy paste. 

Then, diced up the fragrant stuff (to taste). 
  • Shallots
  • Green Onions
  • Mushrooms


Then, to get the coating ready, take some breadcrumbs
  • I prefer panko
  • PLAIN, not italian
Toast them up in dry skillet, to make the outside even more crunchy and tasty (but if you do this with italian bread crumbs, because they'll burn during this step). 


Mix together:
  • Krab
  • Mushrooms
  • Shallots
  • Green Onions
  • Shrimp Paste
Form into patties


Chill, then turn to coat in breadcrumbs

You could bake these in the oven or an air fryer, but in this case, I did a shallow pan-fry. 

Pretty tasty. I think I had too much in there, so I couldn't really taste the flavor of the crab, but I liked the shrimp paste as a binder.

Comments