Recipe: Braised Lamb Shank

 

The first time I ever had lamb shank was at a restaurant in California. It seemed so cheap compared to some of the other dishes, even though I knew it wasn't the quickest thing to make. Decided to try it. 

I. LOVED. IT!

A company called M&M Meats out of Perryville, MO would come to the Farmers Market in Kirkwood, and I loved back when they made chorizo. So good. However, not many people bought it, so I would end up picking up different things, like pork burgers and bacon, etc. One time, I noticed they had lamb shanks. 

I had to try it, obviously. 


I preheated the oven to about 350* F
Seasoned some flour and dredged the lamb in it


Drizzled some oil in an oven safe pan with an oven safe lid (LOVE this one)
Seared the lamb shank. then removed from the pan
Diced up onions, carrots and celery (may have thrown some brussels sprout leaves in that were floating around) and sauteed


Deglaze the pan with a cup or two of merlot (or any red wine, marsala, etc can be on the dry side)
Scrape up all of the goodness and mix thoroughly
Cook until reduced by half
Add beef broth (and canned tomatoes if you want some acid mixed in) and bring to a boil
If you want to add herbs, salt, pepper, seasonings, etc, this would be the time. I did not
Add lamb shanks back to pan and mix in and leave at a boil for 5 or 10 minutes
Add oven safe lid to your pan and place in the preheated oven
Cook for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is totally tender (check occasionally, in case you need to add more liquid



You can serve over anything that will soak up that nice, reduced cooking liquid. Rice, pasta, naan bread, or in my case, a mushroom quinoa risotto mixture. 


I used stainless steel for the main dish, but I recommend my favorite ceramic lined cookware for something like quinoa or risotto.

This was one of the dishes that I am most proud of in my many years of cooking on this earth. It did take some time, but ultimately, the ingredients were not that expensive and the preparation was not that difficult. 

I have not cooked lamb any other way yet. Do you have some favorite lamb recipes? I'd love to try more.

Comments