Recipe - Banana Ice Cream

 


One of my friends told me that if I blended frozen bananas it would be 'just like' ice cream. I was like pssssssssh. Oookay. 

Well, I take back my skepticism. 

I found bananas on sale, because they were turning. My grocery store almost always has browning bananas on a steep discount. I peeled them and sliced them and put them in the freezer.





HOT TIP: You do not have to peel and cut bananas before freezing them. 

I discovered that I could just throw them in whole and cut them when needed. Not having an entire bunch of bananas staring at me at once made this a more attractive option.

I later started using them in protein shakes for more indulgence and bulk.


I put the frozen bananas into the food processor and was mixing and mixing it. I did not think anything was going to change... THEN it happened. After enough time, the banana did turn that creamy texture like soft ice cream! 
The picture at the top of the post is really what just frozen banana does if you blend it long enough. 



If you like, you can also add flavor to it. 
Usually, I just put in a little bit of vanilla and splenda. But, this time I decided to try three different flavors. 

The ice 'cream' does harden up a bit, if you don't eat it right away and need to put it in the freezer. So, sometimes I will pour them into cupcake cups for single servings. (these are also handy just for general mise en place.)


Have you tried banana ice cream? Do you have favorite mix-ins? I'd love to know! 

Comments