Rainier Cherries

 

No recipe today. 

If you do not know what Rainier Cherries are, this is a Public Service Announcement (PSA)!

As a really rough and not entirely complete description, this fruit is a hybrid of Bing Cherries and Van Cherries (perhaps using a Mazzard Cherry Tree as grafting stock). When I lived in Washington, they were my favorite thing ever.

They bloom in like April but usually have a shortish harvest, June-July.

My taste buds are already checking the calendar! 

I love that, even living in Missouri, I can find them here a few weeks out of the year. We're so used to fruits in stores being a single color without any variation, that it does not look like other cherries that are on sale. But, trust me, the more variance in color, the more flavor.

I only eat them fresh, but it appears that you can also buy them dried online, if you like dried fruit: 

  • Bag of Dried Rainier Cherries
  • Dried Rainier Cherries with No Sugar Added
  • Organic, Non-GMO, Kosher, Vegan, Raw, Non-Irradiated Dried Rainier Cherries
  • Jarred Rainier Reserve Cherries

Comments