Leftover Revamp - Enchiladas

Before I started losing weight, I was always concerned about 'wasting' food, so I'd finish it. I grew up poor and food was never wasted. 

BUT once I gave myself permission to 'waste' things, by not finishing them... I realized I could keep them and turn them into other things! Now I pick restaurants and dishes, just from what I can make from the leftovers.


This is our finished product. I called it an enchilada, but since there was no sauce, I know that it was not. Is there a better word? 

I definitely used too much cheese, it looks like a lasagna. No complaints from the family, though, of course!

Next, I'll show some pictures of some the starting dishes (looks like I missed capturing the chorizo, pepper & onion appetizer, whoops). We were at a local restaurant called 3 Margaritas.





I separated out each of the ingredients, then broiled up all of the peppers, onions and chorizo, to get that great crunchy caramelization. Yeah, buddy!

Then I took those ingredients and wrapped them up in the leftover tortillas, topped with cheese and cooked until the cheese is bubbly. 



HOT TIP: I use a toaster oven A LOT. It preheats faster, it does not heat up the kitchen, and the kids are more at ease using it on their own. 

I try not to use single-use pans, but in this case here, I used aluminum pan here because it fit in the small space of the toaster oven. 

I have since gotten some toaster oven pans that are appropriately sized, which really makes the whole thing more versatile and user friendly, especially for the kids.

Comments